Being a distance caregiver for an elderly loved one can be challenging. You must arrange for their care, ensure that they are getting everything that they need when you are not able to be in the home with them as frequently as you would want them to be, and must also take efforts to ensure that your relationship stays close. This can be particularly difficult and emotional during special times of the year when you may want to be with your senior but are not able to because of your distance.
May 14 is Mother’s Day. This is a wonderful time for you to show your love and appreciation for your elderly parent, which can be especially meaningful when you live at a distance from your loved one. Taking the time to show your love for your senior on this holiday will help to boost their mental and emotional health, and will keep you focused on the meaning behind your care relationship with your senior.
Let these ideas inspire you for ways that you can show your love for your elderly loved one on Mother’s Day when you live at a distance:
- Send a personalized gift. A bouquet of flowers or a fruit arrangement is a wonderful way to show your parent that you are thinking about them. Adding a personalized touch, however, will make the gesture more meaningful. Send a gift chosen specifically for them that they can open on the holiday. Choose something that is obviously specific to them, such as something with a family picture or something that pertains to a favorite activity or topic that interests them
- Arrange a video call. Seeing your face can be extremely meaningful for your elderly parent. Arrange for your parent to have a video call with you on the holiday. If they are not familiar with this technology, talk about it in advance so that they are comfortable with it on the day
- Send a “calendar of gifts”. Rather than just one large gift, consider sending several smaller gifts for your aging parent to open over the course of a week or more. This is a fun way for them to get a boost for several days, and you can get creative with choosing the gifts. Consider selecting several small items that lead up to a thematic larger item, or having the “big gift” be a special family trip and the smaller gifts be items that they will be able to use on that trip.
If you have been looking for meaningful and effective ways to enhance your aging loved one’s life as they age in place, now may be the ideal time for you to consider starting senior care for them. A senior home care services provider can be with your elderly loved one on a fully customized schedule that is tailored specifically to them. This ensures that your parent will have access to the care, support, and assistance that they need, while allowing you to continue giving them the level of care that you want to and are able to provide. A senior care provider can work with your parent to create a highly personalized set of services designed to not only help them manage their needs, challenges, and limitations, but also to encourage them to maintain a lifestyle that is as active, engaged, and independent as possible throughout their later years. For many seniors, one of the most beneficial of these services is companionship. Many elderly adults struggle with diminished mental and emotional health, and quality of life due to less social engagement when they are older. This companionship can boost their well-being and support a more fulfilling lifestyle as they age in place.
If you or an aging loved one are considering caregiver services in Havana, FL, please call the caring staff at Hopewell In-Home Senior Care today at 850-386-5552. Providing Senior Care Services in North Florida.
Latest posts by Jami D. Eddy (see all)
- How Can Technology Help With Senior Care? - August 19, 2019
- The Importance of Metabolic Screening for Older Adults - August 13, 2019
- Do You Know What Support is Available to Your Dad? - August 5, 2019