Caregiver in Tallahassee FL
Being a family caregiver can be one of the most fulfilling and rewarding roles that you can take in your life. It can also be one of the most challenging and stressful. Caregiver stress is a very real issue, and one that can make a tremendous impact on your health and wellbeing. Dealing with high levels of caregiver stress can cause strain to your mental, emotional, and physical health and wellbeing, and even negatively affect the quality of care that your loved one receives from you.
Caregiver stress can be extremely difficult to handle, but one way that you can do this effectively is through respite care. A respite caregiver is a caregiver who steps in when your parent needs additional care and support, or you need help fulfilling their care needs. Through a personalized approach to care structured around your existing care routine, this care provider gives your aging loved one the care, support, encouragement, and assistance that they need to stay safe, healthy, and comfortable whenever it is right for them.
Some of the ways that respite care can help you deal with caregiver stress include:
- Time off. Every family caregiver needs time to themselves. Simply because you have made the commitment to give of your time, energy, effort, and resources to care for your parent does not mean that you are not entitled to your own life. Taking time to yourself is an important part of managing stress and ensuring that you stay connected with who you are as an individual, which is a vital aspect of maintaining your health and wellbeing throughout your care experience. This can mean a day every other weekend, a weekend each month, or even a spontaneous day when you know that you need some time.
- Ability to focus on your children. As a member of the sandwich generation you are responsible for caring for your aging parent as well as your children. This means that there are likely going to be times when you have to choose between caring for your loved one and being there for your children. Whether it is sports games, musical performances, dance rehearsals, or just spending time together, whatever your child wants you to do with them is an important part of maintaining the quality of your relationship with them. When you feel as though you are not able to be there for them as you would want them to be, you can feel stressed, strained, and emotionally overwhelmed. A respite care provider can come in when you have one of these activities so that you can enjoy the time with your children and still know that your parent is getting everything that they need.
- Much-needed breaks. Just because your aging parent needs regular attention does not mean that you are not able to still enjoy the occasional vacation or getaway. Whether it is with your partner, your children, your friends, or even on your own, a vacation can be something to look forward to as well as valuable time to yourself, both of which can help you to both ease and manage your stress on a regular basis. While you are enjoying your time away, the respite care provider can give your loved one the level of the care that they need to stay at their best.
If you or an aging loved one are considering caregiver services in Tallahassee, FL, please call the caring staff at Hopewell In-Home Senior Care today at 850-386-5552. Providing Senior Care Services in North Florida.
Latest posts by Brian Moran, RN, Marketing Director, Partner (see all)
- TMH Memory Disorder Clinic – Enrolling Participants for Peace of Mind Study - June 23, 2017
- What Can You Do When You Feel Out of Touch as a Caregiver? - June 21, 2017
- The Benefits of a Pet for an Elderly Loved One - June 14, 2017